Tuesday, May 23, 2017

a couple things some feminists do that seriously bother me.

Why do *some* people (allegedly intersectional feminists) think it's ok to speak of white people as a whole, some even saying they want to kill all white people, some mocking them for being white, and mock and criticize them for complaining about this?  They say there are more important things to worry about (but if someone says that in response to an issue *they* care about, they recognize it as bs) and that it's ok to stereotype and mock and threaten white people because they're privileged.  It's like they're trying to punish them for the crime of being privileged, but being privileged isn't a crime and punishment is just what assholes call bullying.  They're doing to others exactly what they object to being done to themselves, aren't they?  But they're not just doing it back to the ones who do it to them, they're doing it to *all* white people.  It'd be like a woman catcalling a random man being like "see how you like it" but she doesn't even know if that random man has ever catcalled or supported the idea of catcalling.

I know if I post this on fb, people will comment saying I'm racist.  heidi will attempt an explanation that won't make any sense to me.

Apparently not wanting to be racisted at means I am a white supremacist.

This same kind of thing also applies to men.  Some people do this mocking and threatening of men, and I oppose that too, the same way, as you might have guessed from my catcalling analogy.

Same for not buying the noncept of cultural appropriation.  I call it a noncept because I've never been able to find a definition of it that made sense without being completely horrible.  The only way I can see to implement a world with zero cultural appropriation is to have all tribes (which is ill-defined anyway, because humans originated in africa?) remain separate.  That just sounds like the nationalist garbage that white supremacists blather about while saying that all black people should be deported to africa.  Anyway, if I just take the examples I've seen people give of cultural appropriation, I don't see how they cause harm, or if they do, how the appropriator is morally responsible for that harm.  It also sounds racist to me to say something is only for x people, as if it's tainted by them, like when a boy says "that's for girls!" to reject something.



previous drafts of my thoughts are below:



...
when people mock, stereotype, or vaguely threaten white people and then mock them for pointing out the irrationality or the evil or for being upset.  I don't buy the excuse that it's ok to stereotype or joke-threaten white people because they're privileged.  They're lumping all white people in together as if they're one person.  They're doing exactly what they object to?  They don't like it done to themselves, but want to do it to white people?  It makes sense to get revenge against someone who actually said something racist to you; it doesn't make sense to get revenge against a random person of the same race.

It's like they're trying to punish them for the crime of being privileged, but being privileged isn't a crime and punishment is just what assholes call bullying.

They say there are more important things to worry about, but people always say that when they want to maintain the status quo.  The typical rebuttal is that it's possible to worry about more than one thing at a time.  We don't all have to only work on the most important problem at all times.

"cultural appropriation".  despite months of reading articles and blog posts and asking people who believe it's a problem about it, i still don't have an actual definition or an explanation of the harm it causes or an explanation of how the "appropriator" would be morally responsible for that harm.

Why do *some* people (allegedly intersectional feminists) think it's ok to speak of white people as a whole, some even saying they want to kill all white people, some mocking them for being white, and mock and criticize them for complaining about this?  They say there are more important things to worry about (but if someone says that in response to an issue *they* care about, they recognize it as bs) and that it's ok to stereotype and mock and threaten white people because they're privileged.  It's like they're trying to punish them for the crime of being privileged, but being privileged isn't a crime and punishment is just what assholes call bullying.  They're doing to others exactly what they object to being done to themselves, aren't they?  But they're not just doing it back to the ones who do it to them, they're doing it to *all* white people.  It'd be like a woman catcalling a random man being like "see how you like it" but she doesn't even know if that random man has ever catcalled or supported the idea of catcalling.


3 comments:

  1. I just saw a post where someone said the generalizing thing happens with atheists. You're not allowed to generalize any religious people, but people assume that any random atheist agrees with whatever harris or dawkins said at any point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few years ago I was in a feminist group on fb and I made friends with a bunch of people in the group, and they said a lot of things that didn't make sense to me. Like, there'd be one little point I either disagreed with or thought I might disagree with, and I was afraid to even ask about it because I was like 99% sure they'd ban me from the group for even asking for clarification on something if they thought it sounded like an anti-feminist gotcha and they'd all block me with no explanation, and that would suck because I was friends with them, I was attached to them, I talked to them every day. And that ended up happening anyway and I don't even know why. My guess was that it was because I posted some criticism of a particular islamic thingamabob that was going around. I messaged one of my "friends" to ask why I wasn't in the group anymore, and she had also unfriended me but I didn't ask about that, and instead of answering me at all she blocked me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is kind of weird. I'm afraid that if I say what I'm thinking, and it's not just jokes or insults or attempting to trigger someone, it's just my honest thoughts, I'm afraid my friends will stop being friends with me. I want to tell myself that if they leave they were never my friends anyway, but I KNOW that it will hurt anyway.

    ReplyDelete