Tuesday, August 2, 2016

What do you feel was/were your greatest academic accomplishment(s) in math/stats while at UALR?

The fraction of advanced calculus I understood and watching the khan academy videos about taylor series.
I made 2 videos showing that flipping text upside down and backwards is the same as rotating it 180 degrees.
Those videos are also failures.  They didn't convince someone who was claiming that they are not the same thing.  But I literally showed him so I guess it's all on him for not believing it.

Here's another math failure.  In 2007, I was taking intro to logic, taught by some adjunct or something who doesn't work at ualr anymore, and she said that induction doesn't prove things just shows them to be relatively likely, and I asked how that relates mathematical induction.  she said she didn't know what it was, so after class I asked her if she wanted me to show her an example of it.  she said yes, so I started demonstrating the proof that the sum of the natural numbers from 1 to n equals n(n+1)/2 for all natural numbers n.  She didn't even let me get through it, she jumped in to say that I was "assuming" when I was doing the induction step.  I said it was like a series of syllogisms, and she literally said "you're assuming that all natural numbers are the same".  She wouldn't listen after that so I left.

Hm.
Linear Algebra.  That's when I came to understand vectors.  They had used vectors in calculus 3 and I had never seen them before and had no idea what was going on.
Math Software.  This is a programming class, not a math class.
Applied Stat 1.  I didn't learn anything.
Applied Stat 2.  I didn't learn anything.
College Geometry.  I vaguely remember being intrigued by the concept of representing a line as a set of two points.  This had come up in graph theory before but I didn't understand it till college geometry.

Those are all the math classes I took and passed.

the ones i failed or dropped:
math history:  during this class I learned that the roman, greek, and muslim eras in math history exist just because different empires took over the same region at different times.
advanced calculus:  During the second attempt, I read and understand and wrote a lot of proofs and felt like i was making progress in understanding actual math ie theoretical math, rather than just math applications.
senior seminar:  during the second attempt I watched the khan academy videos about taylor series.

pleh.

No comments:

Post a Comment