Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Was there an academic low point in your math/stats career at UALR? If so, what was it and how did you deal with it?

I hate math.  I have hated math since fall 2005.  There have been a lot of low points.

The lowest in the school sense i guess is the end of the spring 2011 semester when I took a year off school.  I was close to finishing a BA in math.  I was planning to do it in summer 2011.  My classes weren't going very well, but I was going to try to crap through them and pass.  I went to the career counseling office at UALR and asked what I could do with a BA in math.  The answer was nothing.  Literally nothing.  Nothing nothing nothing.  Their advice was to get another degree.  Like, get a double major in math and computer science, or get a teaching certificate, or take all those tests to become an actuary.  The math degree alone was completely worthless garbage.  So that coupled with the fact that I hated math and hated my classes and the classes weren't going well made me decide to flip desk and forget the whole thing.  I spent the year trying to figure out something else I could do career-wise, but that didn't work out and here I am back trying to get a fucking math degree.

No comments:

Post a Comment