Sunday, October 14, 2012

same-sex marriage, privilege, ramble, there's a point in here somewhere

I went to a viewing party for the debate thingies between those two people thingies who are vying for that job thingie.  There I met a woman who said that romney was the lesser of two evils, and then I mentioned same-sex marriage, and she said she doesn't care if they have "civil unions", but she's just against "them" using the word "marriage".  Why?  I don't get it.  What the hell is the big deal if they use that word?  You might say to me, if it's not a big deal, then why don't I just let it go.  But it's like, on the one hand you're suggesting that someone just let go a little freedom, because it's "not a big deal", but on the other hand, I'm suggesting that someone just let go a little control-freakiness, because it's none of their god-damned business what terms I or anyone else use to refer to my relationships.  I am suggesting a more free stance, and they love freedom until it comes to same-sex marriage.  I don't get it!  I have an idea of where it might come from.  It might be that they (the different-sex couples) have this, like, privilege, and they don't want to let it go, they don't want to share it with others, because then it's not a privileged status for them.  And while they may claim to believe that that's "just what marriage is", the fact that they are so afraid of letting other people use the word shows that they really do know that the concept of marriage is fluid, defined by societal recognition rather than by the fabric of the universe or by god.

I don't know, it kind of reminds me of how I know people personally, from college, who believe that they are wolves and shit, like they believe they have the soul of another species.  I don't know what that's supposed to mean, but whatever, you know?  They can call themselves wolves or turtles or anything, because it doesn't affect me in the slightest.  Even if they got legal recognition of some kind of their identities, it wouldn't bother me, because it doesn't mean anything to me!  I'd be against them getting special privileges, but getting to have their identities recognized by other people in whatever the hell way they wish, that's not a special privilege, that's just them trying to get the exact same recognition that most people ("normal" people) have automatically.  And different-sex couples have this recognition of their commitments to each other, but same-sex couples don't have that in a wide-spread way, and that's what's unfair.  The people who are against it babble about teh geys wanting special rights, but it's actually the straight people who are currently having special rights and they don't want to give them up.  But I'm against that, I'm against any group having special privileges, even if it's a group that I'm part of!

No comments:

Post a Comment