Sunday, May 6, 2012

Maybe melanie will read this.

Melanie says she doesn't like kids.  When asked why, she alludes to mucus and coughing and scratching.  I point out that none of that is synonymous with "kids".  I wasn't gross when I was a kid.  If anything, I'm more gross now, as an adult, because I'm sick waay more often these days, and I have horrible sinus problems that I did not have when I was little.  She says that I'm not trying to understand her feeling of disgust towards kids and that I'm actually just trying to argue her out of it.  Well, no, I'm not trying to argue her out of her feelings.  I'm trying to get her to think about what her feelings actually are.  If someone says that they hate black people, you can question them about it, and maybe get to the bottom of their feelings, and maybe find out that they don't actually hate black people, but rather they hate some other group that overlaps with black people.  I mean, I've never heard someone criticize black people for having dark skin.  It's usually nonsense about "them" being "lazy" and "stupid".  So what they really hate is lazy and stupid people.  And probably what melanie really hates is loud, gross people who invade her personal space, and she's unfairly associated that with children.  I come across a lot of kids in my daily life, at the park, in the store, and in my family, and the percentage of them that run up and touch you uninvited or get snot on you is vanishingly small.

Melanie also said that she didn't like herself when she was a kid.  If she really means that, then frown.  But I don't think she means it.  She said something about having the flu making you gross, and she was comparing being a kid to having the flu.  So from that I guess I have to infer that she was covered in snot when she was a kid, and she hated it.  But she didn't hate herself, and she doesn't hate kids.  She hates snot.

And don't we all.

1 comment:

  1. Apparently she hates them for being young and small. She won't explain why youngness and smallness are so gross to her. She probably just doesn't know herself. I wish she would analyze her feelings, but she won't. She'll just carry on being bigoted.

    ReplyDelete